Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Final Thoughts

When I was assigned to research Maxine Baca Zinn for my Women in Society class, I must admit I was a bit skeptical. Primarily because I wasn’t familiar with who she was, and much less of her theory and work. However, after reading some of her work and reviews of her most popular publications I realized the importance of her work, and the influence it had in the study of Sociology. Overall, the research I did on Maxine Baca Zinn taught me a lot about sociology and society as a whole. Particularly factors such as: race, class, gender, diversity etc that contribute to the structure of society. This project has allowed me to both learn about sociological problems/ ideas but also to learn about the contribution that women like Maxine Baca Zinn have had in this study.
Through the process of my research on Dr. Zinn, I wasn’t able to find enough sources and information about her. Therefore, I feel like this had been a great opportunity for me to cooperate and present information about Dr. Zinn which is not widely available, and shoe be because women like her have had a large part and life’s work towards new ideas and theories. As we had mentioned in the beginning of class, many women have been “written out” one way or another of history in the study of Sociology. To continue this cycle would inevitably never allow us to appreciate the importance of their work.

No comments: